Welcome Jericho Brave-Aiden Moore! | personal

{My 3 kids on the first day that there were born | Judah 06.04.08 - Jordyn 12.29.09 - Jericho 09.26.12 } I've debated whether or not to share some of these special life/personal things on my photography blog and frankly, it boiled down to a technical issue--I don't know how to renew my personal blog's hosting service and have yet to 'sick' my husband on that 'honey do item' yet. So I'm left with a pretty significant life event with details and memories I'm eager to share with friends...and then I remind myself that I want my photography to be an extension of me--anti-canned, anti-script, anti-'salesy'. So i've talked myself into sharing some of this past week's amazingness--amazingly PERSONAL--and all it's details. Welcome to my heart. Welcome to my life where I am first a wife, then a mom and then a photographer. I am delighted to share life with you--both at the consult table, on location shooting and even the behind-the-scenes gnitty gritty of who I am.

If you are any one of the beautiful families or couples I've had the privilege of shooting this past year, you will have noted that I became progressively more pregnant this year. Funny how that works. February 14 I found out i was with-child with our 3rd. He was planned. Mostly. (grin) We were pumped. (Aside: and that emotion was a big deal to me. I might not have been pumped to be pregnant again, (not favorite) but i was pumped to get another kid. Motherhood has progressively made more sense the older Judah (4) and Jordyn (2) have become.) I was also thankful that my first official year shooting in Tucson (and return to photography after my year-long sabbatical) provided a lighter shooting load during this summer's wedding season. Come September 23rd, my self-declared maternity leave was well-needed.

Now, if you are interested in getting the gory details of the birth story, continue reading. Otherwise you can just skip to the end where i posted a few hospital (compliments of camera-phone) highlights and all you need to know is that my 3rd kid, 2nd son, was born on September 26, 2012 and 8:59pm weighing in at 5 lbs 3 oz. He is healthy, beautiful and has a name that took my husband and I all 9 months to finally agree on: Jericho Brave-Aiden Moore. I'm healthy, healing and happiest I've been in a very long time!

Long Version: Though due on October 10, my 38 week check-up showed that little sprout #3 wasn't thriving in the womb. He had stopped growing since my measurement at my 34 week check up. Nurse got concerned. Called Doctor. Doctor did a 30 minute intensive ultra-sound and assessed all sorts of measurements seeing what the cause could be. Couldn't confirm anything absolute, but still turned and asked, "How do you feel about having a baby tomorrow?" I whined a little about wanting to let my baby 'cook' a little longer. Reality was, the little tyke wasn't cooking -- whether it was the bun or the oven's fault, we didn't know. We induced the next day. My experience being induced was pretty cool. I got to pack my bags on time, set up babysitting for kiddos (thank you in-laws!), husband was able to adjust his work schedule prior, we grabbed Starbucks before we headed to the hospital and hunkered down into a sweet corner, 8-floor room that looked out over Downtown Tucson. We met nurses galore, got introduced to the team of UMC med students who would be getting up-close and personal with me throughout the day, and refreshed my really simple birth plan. (My birth plan went like this: "Get epideral in pronto. Strive to avoid c-section at all costs except for baby and mommy's health reasons. In that case, cut me open if need be. Thanks.") My first two kids were both delivered naturally...involuntarily. Nurses just didn't believe i was in enough pain. They wanted to 'wait' out the contractions until they were really 'unbearable' but then both kids ended up hitting transition and coming uber fast. I was determined (and even practiced) to have a more convincing 'pain' face this time around so that nurses would take me more seriously and get an epidural administered in a more timely fashion. I can show you a few of those facial expressions next time we meet actually. They're pretty awesome. Also, if you would like to see the funny little video Lawson took of my successful epidural administration, you can go here. I'm a huge fan.)

Checked in at 10am. Antibiotics at 1030. Epidural at 1130. Pitocin at 12pm. My body, EVER so slowly, got the hint and kicked into gear at 830pm and little Jericho was born 29 minutes later. Preliminary labor was essentially boring and painless. Nurses were shocked to see my epidural working so effectively AND that I still had use of my legs. It was kinda bizarre. But awesome. SUPER awesome. So awesome, in fact, I feel like singing about it still. I told the nurses that, if i could, I'd jump up off the bed and kiss all of them. Most emphatically my anesthesiologist, Doc Walston. M Y  H E R O. I still had to go through a horrific 10 minutes of legit delivery pain, pushing and crap. But I feel silly whining about that, all things considered.

I had to stay in the hospital for a few days to keep an eye on Jericho. He was OK for the most part. Needs to gain weight, a little jaundiced and had to work out some amniotic fluid that was left in his lungs after coming out so fast. It was 2 of the most glorious days ever. My recovery room had this fantastic view of the Catalina foothills. Hospital's chicken quesadillas and turkey sandwiches rocked my face off. I had a grip of friends and family trickle in through our stay but otherwise got some amazing alone-time to bond with Jericho and enjoy the solitude. My highlight, for sure, was watching my two oldest kids meet Jericho for the first time. I can't begin to describe the emotions that swell as they dote over their little brother. Judah is so concerned for him--especially when he cries. Jordyn can't stop asking to 'hold him mommy?' We are all just drinking in a deep sense of 'completeness' and it is overwhelming. Jericho may or may not be our last child, but he sure was 'missing.' God is so so good.

Here are a few pictures from this past week! Thank you for all the prayers, notes, emails, texts, joys and encouragement! My family and I are pretty darn blessed to have family, church, community, friends and this photography thing that has raked in some pretty bomb people into our lives! | lkm

My mom flew in that morning and drove straight to the hospital. I am SOOO glad she made it on time for Jericho's birth. God has been so gracious to let her be with me for each kid's entry into the world! Do note the fact that I am S M I L I N G while watching contractions. Have I mentioned I'm a fan of epidurals?

Alias and good ol' concentrated oxygen were our good companions throughout the day. Jericho's heart rate would drop periodically and a dose of O2 would wake him up a little...as well as a bit o' repositioning. Apparently he did NOT like it when I was on my left side. We're thinking it was a pinched chord or something. Going on 10 hours of slow development. I'm just chillin--bonding with my sweet nurse Brooke. And then he came lightning fast into the world....lets just say 5lb deliveries are a whole lot easier than 8 lb - ers. :) The first morning at the hospital i was greeted with an awesome bouquet of flowers from my best friend, Christal, on the east coast. Flowers are an awesome way to wake up, I've decided. :) But an even BETTER way to spend a morning is with friends and family. I honestly didn't remember to whip out my camera for each visitor. Kinda bummed. Kinda OK with it. I'm sure we'll make up for it.  Your heart just grows bigger with each kid. My daughter's affection for Jericho has bled into her blossoming affection towards the rest of us...her transformation is probably one of my top favorite things in life right now.Our Little (?) Family :D | September 2012